Spelthorne Borough Council is a supporter of the expansion in principle as it recognises the potential economic benefits and opportunities that the expansion of Heathrow could bring to the local area, the wider South East and the UK as a whole. That said, its support is entirely dependent on Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) making sure that the proposed scheme comprehensively and effectively mitigates the impacts the proposed scheme will have on our communities, businesses, services and environment.
Though Heathrow Airport lies immediately north of Spelthorne, the proposed expansion will encroach into the Borough. As such, the Council's main objective is to secure the best possible outcomes for its residents and businesses, and in particular those most directly affected in our Stanwell Moor and Stanwell communities.
Therefore to reassure residents that HAL will minimise the overall cumulative impact of the proposed expanded airport, the Council requires HAL to fully consider its ten requirements:
- The Wider Property Offer Zone (WPOZ) to be expanded to cover the whole of Stanwell Moor and large parts of Stanwell
- Parking controls to be put in place in Stanwell Moor and large parts of Stanwell and provide an on-airport taxi/private hire facility
- HAL to provide an enhanced multi-purpose community hall for Stanwell Moor and Stanwell Village and a new leisure facility in the locality
- No Immigration Removal Centres in the borough
- Surface access/public transport measures including to support the light rail scheme being promoted by Spelthorne, new bus routes into Heathrow, support for Spelthorne to be included in Oyster Card zone 6, provide means to minimise vehicle movements, HAL to ensure site and traffic management during construction and cover the cost of any enforcement
- Air quality must be no worse for residents than it is now but there should be measures to ensure continuous improvement
- Noise experienced by residents must be no worse than it is now but there should be measures to ensure continuous improvement
- No changes to the borough boundary
- Night flights should be banned. Spelthorne supports reducing the number of people overflown by aircraft but more information is needed about what this means for residents
- Staines Moor should remain undisturbed. Work to redirect the River Colne must not alter the flow or character of the river on the moor