This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Need planning permission

Not all development requires planning permission, some developments are regarded as 'permitted development' and are not subject to planning controls.

Permitted development

Some very minor developments can be undertaken without the need for planning permission and this is often referred to as 'permitted development'.  However, for most new building work Building Regulations approval will need to be obtained.

It is important to note that your permitted development allowance is limited on Listed Buildings, properties in Conservation Areas and in some cases as a result of restrictions placed in the permission for the property to be built.  You will need to check if your property is Listed or in a Conservation Area - this can be done by contacting Customer Services on 01784 451499 or via My Spelthorne.  The planning department can only confirm in writing if your proposed development does not need planning permission and is permitted by issuing a Lawful Development Certificate.

Guidance for residential properties

The Planning Portal gives advice on whether or not planning permission is needed. The Portal's interactive house guide for terraced or semi-detached houses provides visual guidance and information on permitted development (extensions, conservatories, loft conversions, outbuildings and porches).  Please see the following guidance for further information:

  • terraced properties
  • loft conversions
  • extensions
  • conservatories
  • outbuildings
  • porches
  • lowering the kerb outside your house

Any definitive view on whether a planning proposal is acceptable will need to be the subject of a planning enquiry and should be submitted on the 'planning enquiry form' with plans and the relevant fee.

If you are considering making an alteration to your home please see our web pages on Pre-application advice and the Planning Duty Rota.

Pre-application advice
Permitted development, prior approval and changes of use
Planning in Principle and Technical Detailed Consents Applications
Dropped kerbs and vehicle access
Planning Portal - link to Interactive House
Advice on outbuildings

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page