Applicants are strongly urged to complete online applications as the default position. Many Council staff are working from home and post is not being opened as frequently, therefore applications posted to us may not be received or considered promptly. Should you be making a representation to an application please email this to us. The licensing team can be contacted at email@example.com.
The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part VIII requires certain types of skin piercing to be registered with the Council.
The Act requires registration to cover both the person carrying on the practice and the premises used for that purpose. There are no powers to refuse registration, but the practice is controlled through compliance with byelaws in each case.
The applicant must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used are safe, hygienic, prevent the spread of disease and comply fully with the general duty of care required by the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
It is illegal to conduct ear piercing, tattooing, acupuncture or electrolysis unless the registration has been formally approved.
Once an application has been made and the fee has been paid, an inspector will undertake an inspection of the premises. If the inspector considers the applicant's procedures and the premises to be suitable, then registration will be approved.
The Inspector will also check compliance with the following bye-law requirements as well as ensuring that general health and safety requirements are being met. The inspector will be pleased to offer any advice or give any help if you are unsure as to how to meet these obligations.
- all surfaces in any part of the premises used by clients must be kept clean and in good repair
- all furniture and fittings in the treatment area must be kept clean and in good repair
- tables, couches, seats etc used in the treatment area must have a smooth , impervious surface which is regularly wiped down with disinfectant and covered by a disposable paper sheet, changed after each client
- a 'No Smoking' sign must be prominently displayed. Cleanliness of operatives
- any overall worn by the operative should be clean and in good repair
- the operative's hands and nails must be kept clean
- any open cut, wound, sore or boil must be suitably covered by an impermeable dressing
- the operative should not smoke nor drink in the treatment area
- the operative should have sole use of the washing facilities which must provide hot and cold running water, soap (or a similar cleanser) and a nail brush
- any needle, metal instrument or other item of equipment used in the treatment must be in a sterile condition and kept sterile until it is used
- if pre-sterilised items are not used then adequate facilities must be provided for the purpose of sterilisation
Registered tattoo studios
- Clarence Street Tattoo, Clarence Street, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 4SY
- Jason Davies, 365 A Staines Road West, Ashford TW15 1RP
- Tattoo Marks, 13 Station Road, Ashford TW15 2UW
- Unicorn, 39A Feltham Road, Ashford TW15 1DQ
Please email or phone Environmental Health for an application form and current cost of a licence.