This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Privacy Notice - Councillors

This privacy notice applies to all councillors

As an Elected Member of Spelthorne Borough Council I am a Data Controller in my own right, accountable for the processing of personal information in connection with requests received from constituents. 

Personal data

I may collect and process personal information to fulfil my role as Ward Councillor on ward-related matters that you may refer to me.  The personal data I may hold includes: your name, address and contact details, along with any information you choose to give relating to your personal circumstances.

I will use this data for the following purposes:

  • to provide advice, if you request it
  • to investigate any issues you may raise with me
  • to find out about your involvement with any public authorities, if you ask me to
  • to prevent or detect fraud or other crime

Why I process your data

The processing is necessary so that I can carry out my responsibilities as a Councillor.  If you do not provide the information it may not be possible to look into any matters that you raise with me.

As an elected Councillor, I have powers under the Local Government Act 1972, the Localism Act 2011 and the Data Protection Act (Schedule 1, Part 2, Paragraphs 23 and 24) that allow me to use personal data as part of my constituency business.

I may need to process Special Categories of personal information in order to find out about your case. Where this is necessary, data protection law describes this exemption as being of substantial public interest.


I do not need your consent to collect or process your personal information. This is because I need the information in order to investigate your case.


I may pass on your personal data to third parties for the purposes of detecting or preventing fraud or other crime, or if it is necessary to consider your case. 

These organisations may include Spelthorne Borough Council, Surrey County Council, Surrey Police, the Department of Work and Pensions, HMRC or any other organisation where I am required or permitted by law to share information.

I may share information with other Councillors in your ward if it is considered necessary.

Your records are held in a secure location on a computer system. When it is necessary to hold personal information in printed form, these records are held in a secure location and disposed of securely when no longer needed.

Retention period

I will process your personal data for as long as it takes me to investigate your case and to provide you with a response. I will delete your records if I do not hear from you for more than two years and when I cease to be an elected member of Spelthorne Borough Council.

Your rights as a data subject

You have the right:

  • to request a copy of the information that I hold about you
  • to correct data that I hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete
  • in certain circumstances you can ask for the data I hold about you to be erased from my records
  • where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing
  • in some circumstances, to have the data I hold about you transferred to another organisation
  • to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing
  • to complain if I refuse a request you may make using these rights and you are not happy with my reason

I may refer any request you may make using these rights to another organisation, if they have been involved in processing your personal data.

Contact details for queries or complaints

If you have any questions about the data held about you please contact the councillor concerned.

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner's Office either in writing to the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or at

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page