Scott Freeman Green

Scott Freeman Garden is a pretty area of open space opposite St James' School, Church Road, Ashford. The name derives from a local dignitary called Harry Scott Freeman. The land was originally part of Ashford Manor which was divided up in 1880 and the majority sold to a firm of solicitors. Harry Scott Freeman, who was born in Staines in 1876, was one of the solicitor partners in that firm of solicitors.

Harry Scott Freeman spent the majority of his working life in local government, mainly as Clerk of the Council (Chief Executive) for Staines Urban District Council. For 53 years he was the Returning Officer in the Staines Elections and also worked for a lengthy period as Clerk to the Spelthorne Justices.

In 1890 Harry Scott Freeman acquired the title 'Lord of the Manor of Ashford' and it is believed he gave the land to the Council to be used as a park and to prevent any future redevelopment.

Harry Scott Freeman was a keen sportsman. In the 1908 Olympiad he not only captained the Gold winning Olympic England Hockey team but was also a member of the England Ice Hockey team.

In 2015, thanks to grant funding from Cllrs Tim Evans, Denise Saliagopoulos, Joanne Sexton and Richard Walsh, the Garden underwent a transformation which included new ornamental flower beds, iron benches and bins and an information board giving the history of the area.