Properties particularly at risk of flooding can prove difficult to insure. The National Flood Forum can assist in getting insurance and reducing your premium or excess, whilst the British Insurance Brokers' Association can help you find a broker that specialises in properties that are difficult to insure.

If your property is at risk of flooding, your insurer may ask for an Insurance Related Request Letter, which you can obtain by contacting the Environment Agency. This letter enables your insurance company to decide whether to insure your property and how much it will cost. This takes into account the likelihood of your property to flood, including the impact of any current or planned local flood defences.

You, or a surveyor, can complete a Flood Risk Report to inform insurers and buyers about any flood protection work you have carried out on your property, and the impact this has had on the level of flood risk.