Advice for the bereaved

If your partner has died and you are now the only adult occupying your home, you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax.

A 25 percent discount is available for people who live alone.

To apply for this discount, please complete the Council Tax single person discount application form.

If the person who has died lived alone then you need to contact us and provide the following details:

  • date of death
  • name and address of the executors/solicitors acting on behalf of the deceased's estate
  • if the property was owned by the deceased and now forms part of the estate or if it was rented the tenancy end date and the name and address of the owner

If the property is forming part of the deceased's estate and remains unoccupied then an exemption will be given until probate has been granted and then after for a maximum period of six months provided the property remains unoccupied and ownership has not transferred from the deceased.