Street parties and outdoor public events

Organising small, private street parties is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment.

We have provided guidance notes to help you and a form to let us know what you are planning.

The main differences between a small street party and outdoor public events are:

Street partiesOutdoor public events
For residents/neighbours onlyAnyone can attend
Publicity only to residentsExternal publicity (such as in newspapers)
No licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling is involvedLicence usually needed
No formal risk assessment neededInsurance needed
Self-organisedRisk assessment common
 Professional/skilled organisers
No charge for road closure order£116 charge for road closure order

If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and there is a charge for this.

Similarly, outdoor public events attracting more people will require a different process. These might include events in parks, open spaces and in streets outside premises such as pubs, shops or clubs.

If you need a Temporary Events Notice or would like to hold an outdoor public event, please contact Customer Services for further information and advice.