Applicants are strongly urged to complete online applications as the default position.  Many Council staff are working from home and post is not being opened as frequently, therefore applications posted to us may not be received or considered promptly. Should you be making a representation to an application please email this to us.  The licensing team can be contacted at

Premises licences authorise any premises to be used for one or more of the licensable activities.

The 'licensable activities' include one or more of the following:

  • the sale and supply of alcohol
  • the provision of regulated entertainment (this includes live and recorded, plays, films and sports tournaments)
  • the provision of hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

Who can apply for a premises licence?

Any person who is aged 18 or over and who is, or is proposing to, carry on a business which involves the use of premises for licensable activities may apply for a premises licence either on a permanent or time-limited basis.

If you intend to sell alcohol then you will also need one or more people to have personal licences

Apply online

You can apply online for a premises licence

Apply by post

Your application must include:


You need to advertise the application during the representation period.

The window advertisement  must be displayed on the outside of the property on light blue A4 (or larger) paper. The advertisement must be displayed for 28 consecutive days starting the day after the application is submitted to the licensing unit.

The newspaper advertisement needs to appear at least once in a local newspaper within ten working days of the application being submitted. The applicant is responsible for sending a copy of the advertisement to the Licensing Team.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period, provided the application was correctly made.

Note: The application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor under the Licensing Act 2003 asks the licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police. The form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible to make this clear.