This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Food complaints

If you have a food hygiene or safety complaint you can report it to us if the food has been purchased from a business within the borough. If the food is mislabelled or it is a quality issue then Surrey County Council's Trading Standards team enforce the law. They also investigate concerns about allergen information.

If you are unsure who the enforcement agency is, please contact us for advice.

We may investigate:

  • complaints about hygiene standards at a food premises
  • foods containing foreign bodies
  • foods which may have caused food poisoning
  • unfit or contaminated food
  • foods past their 'used by' dates

Making a complaint

When you make a complaint, we need to know:

  • your name, address, telephone contact numbers and email address
  • the identity and contact address of the person who discovered the cause of the complaint, if it was not you
  • as much detail as possible about the food, where you bought it, when, the condition of the packaging etc
  • the history to the point of discovery, did you have it delivered, did you buy it and take it home and where/how was the product was stored
  • what you have done with it and any treatment (eg refrigeration or cooking) it has undergone while in your possession
  • the name and address of any witnesses who were present when you discovered the problem
  • any ill effects or any injuries that were suffered
  • whether you have been to hospital or contacted your doctor
  • any contact you have had with the vendor or manufacturer
  • any evidence you have including packaging, the complaint item, left over food, receipts etc

Time scales

The length of time taken to conclude the investigation varies depending on the complexity of the case. If you want to know what is happening with your complaint, please do not hesitate to contact the investigating officer quoting  the complaint reference number that you will have been given.


We are not in a position to obtain compensation for you from the companies involved, nor are we able to pursue claims for personal injury. If you feel a claim is appropriate, you are recommended to seek legal advice as soon as possible.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page
Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety
Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety
01784 446291
Full details for Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety