What this Privacy Notice covers
This Privacy Notice explains how the Council uses information in the course of our Strategic Planning (Planning Policy) work as a local planning authority. This work includes:
- preparing Local Plans and associated planning policies, documents and guidance
- monitoring development
- working with neighbouring authorities, Surrey County Council and other stakeholders (including Highways England, the Environment Agency, Natural England) on strategic planning matters
- involvement in national infrastructure projects such as Heathrow Airport expansion
Spelthorne Borough Council is the data controller (referred to in this notice as 'we' or 'us') of your personal data for the purposes of applicable data protection legislation in relation to statutory plan making and associated Strategic Planning work. Our contact details are at the end of this notice.
In relation to your personal data we are committed to collecting, using and protecting it appropriately.
Why we need your personal data
- the Strategic Planning Team collects personal data to fulfil our statutory duty and help us deliver sustainable development. We are processing this data in order to produce a Local Plan and have a legal obligation to do so as stated under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended)
Why we need your personal data/what do we collect?
- we collect names, addresses and other contact details from representations received during Strategic Planning consultations. We are unable to accept anonymous representations
- basic personal information including name, address, the name of the organisation you may be responding on behalf of and contact details
- information relating to expressed opinions or intentions in respect of planning policy consultations
- information about land or property that you have submitted to the strategic planning team for consideration for allocation in the Local Plan or other strategic planning document
How is your data used?
- the Strategic Planning (Planning Policy) Team primarily only hold your name, address and email for the purposes of keeping you informed about our Local Plan and other planning policy documents that you have requested to be notified of, or where you have submitted land for assessment
- when publishing the representations received during a consultation we will only publish the name of the individual respondent or the organisation that they represent. All other personal information will be omitted or redacted - this includes the contact details and signatures of individuals
- on rare occasions the Council might decide that it is necessary, justified and lawful to disclose some personal data but in these circumstances we will let you know our intention before publication
- when planning documents are formally submitted for Examination representations made on the document in question will also be shared with the appointed Planning Inspector (this is in line with the Town and Country Planning Regulations)
- at any time you may withdraw your representation. At this time we would ask if you were requesting to withdraw it from publication and submission to the Planning Inspectorate or to have all information relating to it deleted from our records
Who will we share your information with?
- we may share personal data with other departments within the Council. This may include Council Legal Services, Land Charges, Planning, Housing Strategy, Customer Services and Elected Members
- Judicial Agencies e.g. Courts, The Planning Inspectorate
- technical staff at our software company Inovem/Kahootz will be able to access your data as part of their role
- we will not provide personal data to anyone else or use the data about you for any other purpose unless the law allows or requires us to
Strategic Planning Consultee Database
All interested can request to be added to the Strategic Planning Consultee Database and we would collect their name, addresses and contact details. All those on the database will be notified when any relevant documents are consulted on, published or reach significant milestones.
If you request to be added to our consultee database, we will not pass your details on to any third parties, other than listed as above. Contact details will be stored securely on our web-based consultation software; where your name and comments will be displayed to the registered users. You will also be offered the opportunity to have your details removed at any time by contacting the Strategic Planning team by email, telephone or in writing.
How long the information is kept for
Records are kept in accordance with the Council's retention schedule and we will not keep your information for longer than necessary.
We will normally retain your details throughout the process of producing a Local Plan, which can take up to 10 years. Once a new Local Plan has been adopted we will consider the need to retain your information, and may contact you to check the details we hold are up to date, and that you wish to be contacted about future Local Plan work.
You have certain rights under UK Data Protection law including:
- the right to be informed
- the right of access to your personal data
- the right of rectification (to have any inaccuracies corrected)
- the right of erasure (to have your records deleted)
- the right to restrict processingt
- the right to data portability
- the right to object
- rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
Further information about your rights is available on the website of the Information Commissioner's Office. If you have a concern about the way that we are collecting or using your personal data, we ask that you contact us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about how we collect, store, or use personal data please:
Telephone us on 01784 451499
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Councils' Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Data Protection Officer
Spelthorne Borough Council