This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Apply for the test and trace self-isolation payment

Apply for a test and trace self-isolation payment

Receiving benefits and working? 

You can apply for the test and trace self-isolation £500 support payment.

From 28 September, there will be a new legal duty on all UK residents who test positive for COVID-19 or are identified by NHS Test and Trace as a close contact, requiring them to self-isolate.

As this new legal duty may impact your ability to work and earn a living, the government has introduced a scheme for those who are having to self-isolate and this scheme will run until 31 January 2021.

If you receive a notification from NHS Test and Trace to stay at home and self-isolate because you have tested positive for coronavirus, or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, you will receive a £500 payment if you are eligible under the scheme criteria (see below). You will need the NHS Test and Trace unique 8 digit identifier number when you apply.

Who can get a test and trace support payment?

To get the test and trace support payment, you must meet the following criteria:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you've tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and
  • been notified to self-isolate on or after 28 September, not before that date, and
  • be employed or self-employed, and
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  • be currently receiving at least one of the following benefits: universal credit, working tax credit, income-based employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker's allowance, income support, housing benefit or pension credit, and
  • your claim is within 14 days of the last day of your self-isolation     

You must meet all of the criteria above to be eligible for a payment. However in exceptional circumstances you can apply for a discretionary payment if you are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Before making an application

Before you make an application, make sure you have the following information:

  • your unique ID number as provided by NHS Test and Trace
  • national insurance number
  • bank account and sort code 
  • if you are self-employed: photos or scanned image of self-assessment returns, trading income
  • details of employment - proof of earnings being reduced for the self-isolation period  (eg letter from your employer stating your salary will be reduced for this period) 
  • photos or scanned image of your most recent wage slip covering the period before and during the isolation period showing your income reduction and a bank statement covering the last month

You will receive this payment via BACS transfer. The payment will be for £500 and is subject to tax. However, you will not be taxed at the point of payment, we will inform Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of the payment. 

Contact details;

For further enquires please contact the team by phone 01784 446374 or by email to

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page