The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support for pension aged claimants

Council Tax Support/Housing Benefit is a Government scheme to help people on low incomes to pay Council Tax and rent. It is sometimes called rent rebate, rent allowance or Council Tax rebate. The scheme is run by local Councils. It is assessed on your income compared with your needs. Outgoings such as mortgage repayments, loans etc; are not taken into account.

Usually your benefit assessment is based on a figure given to the Council from the Pension Service called the "Assessed Income Figure" or "AIF". You will need to contact them to obtain this figure.

Guarantee Credit - If you are in receipt of Guarantee Credit, you will qualify for 100% Council Tax Support (subject to non-dependent deductions).

Income - includes earnings; private pensions, state benefits, and savings.

Capital (Savings, etc) - It is the value of capital that is taken into account - not the income received from it.

  • Capital of £10,000 and under is ignored if you are of pensionable age
  • for every £500 or part of £500 exceeding £10,000, £1.00 per week is added to income
  • applicants with over £16,000 will not qualify for Council Tax Support/Housing Benefit

Earned Income and Company Pensions

Gross earned income, less income tax, national insurance contributions and 50% (one-half) of contributions to a Company Pension Fund, will be used to calculate benefit. (For pensions the gross amount, less income tax will be used.)

Applicable Amount - is the amount which the government considers you need to live on.

The Applicable Amount is made up of a number of elements. These are personal allowances, allowances for dependants and extra allowances called premiums.


There will be a deduction for all non-dependants over the age of 18 years living with you at the property, except for those in receipt of Income Support (except for rent allowance claims), and certain other persons, eg Students.

2nd Adult Rebates

If you have someone sharing your home who is not a partner and is over 18 years of age and not paying a rent, you may be able to claim Council Tax rebate in respect of that person. Entitlement is based on that person's income only.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page
Housing Benefit and Council Tax
Housing Benefit and Council Tax
01784 446374
Full details for Housing Benefit and Council Tax