Housing Benefit is not normally available to full-time students unless:-

  • they are a lone parent;
  • a pensioner;
  • classed as disabled;
  • aged under 19 and not in higher education;
  • partner is a student and they are responsible for a child;
  • part time students and couples where only one is a student;
  • students are disregarded for Council Tax purposes (you must inform the Council Tax Office)

Apply for Housing Benefit

Please note the following which will apply to the calculation of benefit entitlement:.

  • student grant income is used at the full amount whether or not it is actually paid
  • student loan is taken into account whether or not it is actually paid