Council Tax reduction for disabilities

Who qualifies for a reduction?

It is the Council Tax payer who must apply for the reduction and who will receive a reduced Council Tax Bill. Council Tax will be payable according to the valuation band into which your property has been placed by the Valuation Office. If you qualify for a reduction you will receive a bill showing a reduced charge, which has been calculated by treating your property if it were in a lower band. The band can only be reduced by one band, and the Council has no discretion on this. For example, a Band 'D' property would receive a bill equivalent to a Band 'C' property.

How do you qualify?

  • if there is a disabled resident who needs either space for a wheelchair to be used inside the home, or an additional kitchen, bathroom or other room
  • that this space or room is essential or of major importance to the well-being of the disabled resident because of the nature and extent of his/her disability

The qualifying individual

The definition of qualifying individual is "a person who is substantially and permanently disabled (whether by illness, congenital deformity or otherwise)".

It will help in the consideration of this application if the applicant can supply a note from a doctor, or other qualified professional, such as an occupational therapist or social worker, confirming that the disabled resident needs the extra space or room as stated overleaf. If, for any reason, you are unable to obtain such confirmation easily, then do not delay your application if you believe you are eligible for a reduction. However, the Council may subsequently need to ask for evidence in support of your application.

If you think you could qualify, please telephone Customer Services for an application form.