Temporary Events Notices - TENs

The process of applying is formally known as 'serving' a Temporary Event Notice.

Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am


Your event must:

  • have less than 500 people at any one time - including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours, or seven days

You must be at least 18 to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Number of notices you can apply for

You will need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to five TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 12 notices applied for in one year, as long as:

  • the total length of the events is not more than 21 days
  • 1 person doesn't make more than five applications for the premises

'Late TENs'

You can apply for a 'late TEN' up to five working days before the event. You can apply for up to 10 late TENs per calendar year.

If you are organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

If you don't hold a personal licence, you can serve up to five notices (of which up to two may be late).

If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 50 notices (of which up to 10 may be late).

How to apply

Apply online

You can apply for a TEN online by completing the form.

Apply by post

worddocuments icon Download the form [216kb], complete and return to the Licensing Team, Spelthorne Borough Council, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 1XB with the £21 fee. You need to send the form at least ten working days before the event for a standard TEN, or between nine and five working days before a late TEN.

  • you must send one copy of the notice to the licensing authority
  • you must send one copy to the chief officer of police for the area in which the premises are situated: Licensing Spelthorne Neighbourhood Team PO Box 101 Guildford GU1 9PE
  • you must send one copy to the Environmental Health department of Spelthorne Borough Council, address as above
  • the licensing authority will endorse their copy and return it to you
  • you should keep a copy of the completed notice for your records
  • we aim to process all applications within two working days of receiving them


The council can't refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must do this within three working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, your council's licensing committee will hold a meeting - called a 'hearing' - no later than 24 hours before the event.

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.


If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local Magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least five working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.