This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Health and safety complaints

If you consider that an employer's work activity is putting your safety at risk or damaging your health, then you should raise your concerns with that employer or person. If no improvement is made and your safety or health continues to be at risk, then you can report your complaint to the relevant enforcing authority ie either the local authority or HSE and ask them to look into it.

An employer must eliminate or control significant risks and this may include a change in procedure, providing specialist equipment and clothing and may also involve arranging regular medical checks.

Employees also have a duty to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and to also take care of others who may be affected by what you do or do not do, to co-operate with their employer on health and safety matters.

We cannot deal with complaints about issues or employers where we have no jurisdiction.

You should contact us if your complaint is about the following type of premises within our borough:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants, cafes and takeaways
  • leisure premises (except Council owned facilities)
  • nurseries and playgroups (not schools)
  • pubs and clubs
  • museums (privately owned)
  • places of worship
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes

HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • nuclear installations
  • mines
  • schools and colleges
  • fairgrounds
  • gas, electricity and water systems
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • central and local government premises
  • offshore installations

The HSE Complaints and Advisory Team can be contacted on 0300 003 1647.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page
Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety
Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety
01784 446291
Full details for Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety